Wednesday, May 02, 2012

You couldn't eat this much veg in one meal..... Juice It!



I have liked juicing and making smoothies for a few years now but I guess as part of my Let's Get Healthy mission I am taking it a bit more seriously these days. Inspired by some of my friends on Twitter, TheDrGinger and Jason Vale I have really jumped into juicing over the last couple of months. I love vegetables anyway, especially green veg and I do eat veg at lunch and dinner but by juicing them I can consume so much more in just one sitting then I could in one day. Some of my friends have said they don't eat this much veg in 3 days! There is so much goodness in vegetables and I want to get the best from it without having to munch like a rabbit for hours every day. I made my favourite green juice today and thought I would take this opportunity to share it with you.

 I used the following ingredients which made approximately 1.5 pints of juice:


  • 3 stalks of celery 
  • 4 handfuls of spinach
  • Half a large Rommaine lettuce
  • Half of a very large cucumber 
  • 3 small apples
  • A quarter of a fennel bulb 
  • 2 handfuls of broccoli 
  • Half a lemon 

 I don't have any "rules" when it come to juicing. I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables each week and just mix it up a bit depending on what I fancy or what is left in the fridge at the time, for example last week I had some melon that needed to be used up so I bunged a bit of that in there to sweeten and compliment the green veg. It was yummy!  I am sure that when I have been having my glasses of green juice a day I feel more energised and my skin is clearer so they are definite benefits, it also helps that it tastes yummy!

 I often put in a capful of Aloe Vera juice which I buy from Holland and Barrett. Aloe Vera is good for your digestive tract, aids your immune system, is a pain reliever and reduces inflammation.  I have also been taking Chlorella and Spirulina supplements. These have countless benefits but I have heard of people taking it whilst doing IVF so I thought I would start getting it in my system for my next cycle. It helps with vitality too so that's always good!

Obviously I am not a nutritionist but I am just trying something that I feel may work for me and I do research supplements before I start taking them. I like to juice my veg but if I fancy a sweet treat or sometimes for a yummy weekend breakfast I will make a fruit smoothie. Banana, strawberry and date is a favourite in this house but I will save a smoothie post for another time. My next plan is to order Jason Vale's iPad app or book "Loose 7lbs in 7 days". I have heard a lot of great things about this and some of my friends have followed the plan. So I am looking forward to that week crammed with lots and lots of veg! I will keep you posted on how that goes.







 Now I'm off to enjoy my pint!











Take care everyone Chele Xxx


2 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this.My favourite juices though are the fruit ones,strawberries,cherries,melon,watermelon,peach,apple,kiwi and carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fruit too especially strawberries and cherries. The problem if you juice fruit though is that because you are juicing large amounts to make a glass of juice you will be consuming a lot of sugar. It seems the general idea is eat your fruit, juice your greens. If you like sweeter juice though try carrots in it because they are sweet but I think too much will also have higher sugar than greens. Let me know if you try it . Add a bit of melon to green juice or some apples to make it sweeter xxx

    ReplyDelete